Congratulations to our two winners who will attend the WFH Congress in 2016: Jeffrey Snow of Newfoundland-Labrador and Kwadwo (Michael) Bosompra of Ontario. Keep an open eye for their post congress report which will be published in Hemophilia Today in the fall of 2016.
The CHS Karttik Shah Youth Fellowship was initiated in memory of Karttik Shah of Toronto, Ontario, in recognition of his commitment to hemophilia youth programming in Canada and abroad, and, in particular, for his participation over many years on the CHS Board of Directors and the World Federation of Hemophilia Youth Committee. In order to promote the development of its future leaders, the CHS will offer one or more fellowships to enable Canadian youth who are committed to long-term involvement in the CHS to attend the Hemophilia 2016 World Congress taking place in Orlando, USA, July 24-28, 2016.
Details about the WFH Congress are available at www.wfh.org/congress/en . The fellowship programme is open to Canadian youths with an inherited bleeding disorder between 18 and 30 years of age. A Selection Committee will choose the recipient from the received applications based on merit and quality of the application.
Criteria for Karttik Shah Youth Fellowship
To qualify, the following criteria need to be met:
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident between the ages of 18-30 with hemophilia, another rare factor deficiency, von Willebrand disease, including carriers.
- Applicant must be able to communicate in English, the official language of the Congress.
- Applicant must have been an active volunteer of the CHS or one of its chapters for at least the past year.
- Applicant must be committed to volunteering with the CHS for at least the next two years.
Selected youth delegate will receive:
- Hotel accommodation in Orlando July 23 to 28, 2015 inclusively;
- Return economy class airfare from the airport nearest to where he/she lives to Orlando along with airport tax and transportation to and from airports;
- Free registration to 2016 World Congress.
Not included: Meals during the Congress
Qualifying participant will receive full details regarding transportation arrangements. Please note that there will be medical personnel and a bleeding disorder treatment centre on site.