The CHS / Pfizer Care Until Cure Research Program was established in the year 2000 in collaboration with Wyeth Canada, now Pfizer. Pfizer Canada strives every day to help Canadians live healthy, balanced lives. They do that by discovering and developing innovative medicines. As a company, they're dedicated to building healthier communities and empowering Canadians to make healthier choices every day. At Pfizer Canada, they believe that to be truly healthy, it takes more than medication.
This program allows Canadian investigators to conduct research on medical and psychosocial aspects of bleeding disorders, including outcome evaluation. Grants are awarded for clinical research in fields relevant to improving the quality of life for persons with hemophilia, persons with von Willebrand disease or other inherited bleeding disorders, persons with related conditions such as HIV or hepatitis C, and carriers of an inherited bleeding disorder.
For the 2016-2017 granting period of the program, specific areas of interest have been identified and investigators are encouraged to submit proposals within these areas. The grants review committee will allocate funding to the strongest and most relevant projects included but not limited to the areas of interest listed below.
2016-2017 AREAS OF INTEREST include and are not limited to:
- Hemophilia B
1. Epidemiology / burden of disease / outcome research
2. Routine prophylaxis and preventative treatment
3. Surgical prophylaxis, dosing
4. Pharmacokinetics (including recovery) in Hem B
5. Joint outcomes and optimizing therapy
6. The role of non-circulating & extravascular Factor IX in hemostasis
- Transition and clinical issues
1. Treatment adherence to prescribed regimens
2. Management of adolescent hemophilia patients
3. Management of aging hemophilia population
4. Tailoring/Personalized Hemophilia Treatment (eg, pharmacokinetics and other factors)
- Clinical monitoring of hemophilia treatment
1. Inhibitors, Inhibitor Management (eg, Immune tolerance), and Immunogenicity
2. The role of point-of-care joint ultrasonography in the management of Hemophilia
- Product switching experience
1. Rationale for switching products
2. Inhibitor development and safety associated with switches
3. Understanding differences in Factor VIII molecules (eg, full-length versus B-domain deleted)
- Antifibrinolytic Therapy
For the CHS / Pfizer Care Until Cure Research Program, individual grants valued at $75,000 per year will be awarded to researchers for a maximum of $150,000 which can be expended over 2 or 3 years. If a two year award is provided, the second year of funding is dependent on evidence of progress as described in the required progress report. Grant funding will begin on April 1, 2016.
Application forms for the 2016-17 granting period as well as the general criteria and conditions can be accessed by using the links below. Deadline to submit applications: CLOSED
INFORMATION FOR THE 2017-2018 GRANTING PERIOD WILL BE POSTED IN AUGUST 2016.