Pfizer Canada Inc. is the Canadian operation of Pfizer Inc., one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies. Our diversified health care portfolio includes some of the world’s best known and most prescribed medicines, vaccines and consumer health products. Every day, Pfizer Canada employees work to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve patients’ lives. We apply science and our global resources to improve the health and well-being of Canadians at every stage of life. Our commitment is reflected in everything we do, from our disease awareness initiatives to our community partnerships.
At Pfizer, we put the patient first, and much of our time is focused on helping to address the unmet needs of the community. We have been committed to doing this through our partnership and collaboration with the Canadian Hemophilia Society (CHS), the Association of Hemophilia Clinic Directors of Canada (AHCDC) and other professional associations committed to the care of patients with hemophilia.
Beyond providing medication and innovations in treatment delivery, Pfizer is committed to being there for the patient and their family throughout their life:
- We have implemented an independent patient support program (“Be Involved”) that we feel not only meets the treatment needs of the patient at home, but does so according to the specific guidance and oversight of the patient’s specific hemophilia treatment clinic.
- We support numerous programs through CHS, AHCDC and other professional associations.
- We have implemented an innovative point-of-care Ultrasound initiative with the aim of improving patient care through an efficient and effective scanning protocol that can be conducted in hemophilia clinics supporting the real-time management of joint health.
- We support summer camps for children with hemophilia which are instrumental in teaching children the required skills and knowledge to best manage their condition.
In 2015, Pfizer solidified its commitment to rare diseases by establishing a dedicated Rare Disease Business Unit, of which hemophilia and other bleeding disorders are the primary area of focus. A few of our priorities are as follows:
- Advance our existing preclinical and clinical programs in hemophilia and to advocate for the participation of Canadian clinicians and researchers in these programs.
- Actively develop new medicines for hemophilia and other bleeding disorders as well as aggressively pursue collaborations with academic institutions, medical societies, companies, consortiums, government agencies and others.
- To advance potential treatments, Pfizer is executing a dual approach to rare disease management:
- Near-term disease management to help patients better control their disease and quickly improve quality of life;
- Long-term disease correction to ultimately treat/cure the disease by exploring its underlying causes and informing clinical programs.
- Continue to conduct ongoing research on our marketed treatments, in order to better understand mechanisms of action, with the ultimate goal of optimizing treatment and improving patient outcomes.
To learn more about Pfizer Canada, visit pfizer.ca or you can follow us on Twitter (twitter.com/PfizerCA) or Facebook (facebook.com/Pfizer.Canada).